Known as “yoga of the sleep”, the Sanskrit word Yoga means ‘union’ or ‘one pointed awareness’ and Nidra means ‘sleep’.
It is a state of conscious Deep Sleep, and one of the deepest forms of meditation, relaxation and rejuvenation that one can experience, whilst still being awake and aware. It relaxes every muscle group, the whole of the Central Nervous System and calms the mind, bringing about a feeling of peace, inner stillness and mindfulness.
In Meditation, you remain in the Waking state of consciousness, and gently focus the mind, while allowing thought patterns, emotions, sensations, and images to arise and go on. However, in Yoga Nidra, you leave the Waking state, go past the Dreaming state, and go to Deep Sleep, yet remain in a state of deep relaxation.
The body, mind and intellect are completely relaxed, the consciousness is functioning at a deeper level, and the subconscious and unconscious realms of mind get opened up. By accessing these powerful forces, one can learn to gain knowledge, cure diseases, increase creativity, and to realize one’s true self.
Yoga Nidra can help release deep seated mental and physical/muscular stresses and tension, as well as reducing anxiety, fear and negativity by changing mind patterns and conditioning.
A single hour of yoga nidra is as restful and refreshing as three to four hours of conventional sleep.
If you would like to purchase a copy of Jane’s Yoga Nidra relaxation CD please send her an email from the contact page or speak to her at one of her classes.
Benefits of Yoga Nidra
- Brings an incredible calmness, quietness and clarity, rejuvenation and relaxation.
- Induces deep relaxation at all the levels – physical, mental and emotional.
- Helps eliminate the root cause of all negativities like stress related disorders, ailments like hypertension, depression, insomnia, asthma, digestive disorders, etc which drain our life energy.
- Can be used to change the nature of mind along the positive lines.
Can improve the quality of your sleep.
- Is highly effective in removing stress.
- Helps cure insomnia, hypertension, depression, asthma, digestive disorders, migraine and ulcers.
- Shifts pressures from the coronary system.
- Awakens the psychic body